US Tax Professional in Australia
Catherine was recommended to me a few months ago. I got myself into quite a mess while living in Australia (as a dual citizen) and incorrectly filing my US tax returns. With 4 years of backlog, I consulted with several Accountants and Lawyers in the US — all of whom were not able to give clear advise or willing to take on my case, and then luckily I found Catherine. Despite the IRS being particularly slow in replying, she has still been able to resolve this major mixup, saving me a substantial amount of money I supposedly owed.
She is very knowledgeable in her field, swift to reply, and always kept my needs at the forefront.
I’m SO thankful I found Catherine for her expert guidance!! I would highly recommend her.

US Tax Professional in Australia

Enrolled Agent

Authorized IRS E-File Provider

Catherine has a unique, first hand understanding of the American Expat living in Australia. She assists her clients to work through the complex IRS tax rules to become compliant with the IRS and US Treasury Filing requirements –FBAR/FATCA.

Listed on the US Consulate General in Canberra’s website as a tax professional for US Federal Income Taxes.   Authorized Acceptance Agent for the IRS, to assist those needing to acquire Individual Tax Identification Numbers (ITIN) and Employer Identification Numbers (EIN).

Catherine became a US tax professional in the year the US tax code was simplified (hint: Ronald Reagan was President). She worked several years as a tax professional for a national US Brand.  Since becoming self-employed, she has helped many (stateside and international) taxpayers to file their annual US income tax returns.

An enrolled agent is a person who has earned the privilege of representing taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service by either passing a three-part comprehensive IRS test covering individual and business tax returns, or through experience as a former IRS employee. Enrolled agent status is the highest credential the IRS awards. Individuals who obtain this elite status must adhere to ethical standards and complete 72 hours of continuing education courses every three years.

Enrolled agents, like attorneys and certified public accountants (CPAs), have unlimited practice rights. This means they are unrestricted as to which taxpayers they can represent, what types of tax matters they can handle, and which IRS offices they can represent clients before.

Catherine is passionate about getting the best tax result for her clients.  

Through ignorance of my obligations to file, Catherine confidently and knowledgeably sorted out my mess and got me back on track with my expat taxes.  I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your help.
Terry and Marilyn

“It’s my passion to provide the best tax outcome for my client. I enjoy the challenge of applying the
IRS tax codes to your situation to find your best tax result.”

Catherine Smith, EA

US Tax Professional, A Cloud Thing